Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Can I spray paint over finished wood or do I need to sand first?

I'm kind of in a rush to turn a maple end table black but I'm concerned the spraypaint wont hold against the current wood finish. Please help. Thx!Can I spray paint over finished wood or do I need to sand first?
Sand, prime and then paint.Can I spray paint over finished wood or do I need to sand first?
sand it if you want paint to stay on more than a month or two


after sanding use a tack cloth to remove debris
You need to give the paint a tooth you could just medium sand it like 120 grit or so to give the paint a ';tooth'; but i would suggest wiping it down with deglosser then sanding, that always works great, do not try to paint without roughin up the ultra smooth surface though or the paint will fail
Correct to all of the previous answers, although I'm going to tell you exactly what you need.





Go to Lowe's paint department.





120 or 200 grit sandpaper


tack cloth to wipe up grit left from sanding


Valspar Gray spray primer


Valspar Black Gloss or Semi Gloss spray paint





Sand it just enough to rough it up. Wipe off the dust and grit with the tack cloth. Use the gray primer (since you are using black, gray primer will give you the best hide and/ or coverage).





Then Spray paint with your semi gloss or gloss spray paint.





Good luck! :)
if it has been waxed or polished or has a waterproof stain on it you will need to sand it as it may not cover properly nif it cannot be absorbed by the wood.





good luck rob
Here are some more detailed instructions for sanding -





http://www.generalfinishes.com/tips/prep鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment